Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Always learning new tricks to save money

My husband and I, like many others, our finances always seem to be some what strained so I always find myself trying to come up with new ways to save us money. One of the biggest money drainers that I discovered was food. Food waste can be a huge financial issue for any household. So I have started some new tricks to help cut our food bill in half and so far they have worked.

One of the first changes I made is every Sunday I spend about a half hour working on the menu for the next week. This has been one of the biggest changes that has required some work but has saved me so much time and money. By coming up with weekly meal plans I have found ways to utilize things in my pantry so that I am not buying more then we can eat. Every pantry I have ever seen contains random cans and assortment of foods that have been there for probably longer then we would care to admit. Going through the pantry and actually using the items is one of the biggest money savers and it can be fun. When you find odd items that you have no idea what to do with the trick I found was through one of my favorite websites www.allrecipes.com I use the ingredient search engine and search through the different recipe ideas, it is a great way to branch out and try new things and to use up ingredients that you just couldn't seem to go through.

By creating your menu it not only saves money but also can save time. I can't tell you the amount of times dinner time has sneaked up on me with no plans of what I would make. I would spend time going through the cupboards stressing about not having anything in the house to cook. More often then not when I have told my husband that I have nothing to make it isn't so much that there aren't ingredients to make dinner I am just uninspired. So this means either another trip to the store or to a restaurant, both huge money drainers. By having a plan it takes the thinking and stress out of meal time for the rest of the week. It also allows you to plan on using up ingredients so they don't go bad. For example how many times have you purchased that bag or spinach or the broccoli and used it for one meal and then the rest of it spoiled as it just sat in the fridge unused. If you plan your week you can make sure you use up all of your fresh produce and reduce your waste.

Well that is tip number one there are more, but that is for another time.

3 comments:

  1. I do menu planning too, and it is a HUGE money saver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cooking not only saves money but it's better for your health, too. When you find you've made a far too large a batch of chili or soup, its really simple to freeze individual portions in baggies for later use than have it spoil in the refrigerator. As a single mom for over a decade, I discovered that cleaning products are much cheaper at the Dollar Store and that a 99 cent gallon of ammonia cleans just as well as a $5 fancy brand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I'm feeling disciplined I plan a weeks meals too. It is such a help when shopping and stops those impulse buys! Though I do try to remain open to a bargain and adapt the menus. Sadly it's when I'm stretched and most need to budget that I'm most likely to think I'm too busy. I guess making a regular habit of preparing a meal plan is the answer.

    ReplyDelete