Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Best burger and chips I have ever eaten and it is healthier for me

My husband and I started a diet plan together at the beginning of this year, and while I did get my inspiration from the Sonoma Diet it is a diet that I created especially for us. And for the first time have enjoyed actually sticking to it. It has been an adventure for me to find creative ways to eat the things that we love just healthier. Because being healthy shouldn't just be in the short span that we choose to diet it should be something that we incorporate throughout our whole lives. Now it would be unrealistic of me to say I am never going to eat those foods that I love that are bad for me, in fact that is what my down fall always was. If you tell me I can never have something ever again then that is all I want. No, depriving yourself for life is never the solution. And with my husband and I down 15 pounds between us I should say so far the plan is working.

Last night I felt like i did it again. It had been a while since we were able to enjoy a good old fashion burger and chips so I created an alternative for us that proved to be amazing. It truly was the best burger I have eaten in a long time and while I miss potatoes I was delighted to find that the tofu fries taste fantastic, my husband loves them. 


 Turkey Burger with Avocado and salsa with Tofu fries
1/2 pound of ground turkey
1 tbs finely minced jalapeno
1 tbs balsamic vinegar
2 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of pepper
1 small avocado sliced
salsa for garnish

Mix first six ingredients together until well mixed with ground turkey. Cover and put in refrigerator for at least half an hour. Once marinated, mold into patties and fry on grill. If you don't have a grill and have to fry in a sauce pan make sure to pat off as much grease as you can when finished cooking. Place meat on thin buns and garnish burgers with avocado and about a teaspoon of salsa.

Tofu Fries
1/2 of a container of extra firm tofu
1/2 cup of whole wheat flour
1/4 of whole wheat breadcrumbs
1 tsp of garlic salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 egg whipped

For tofu fries, take the tofu out of package and wrap in a paper towel, place it in a bowl and put something heavy enough to apply pressure but not crush the tofu, this will help drain excess water. Once drained slice tofu into pieces, about the size of a finger. Layer in shallow pan and put it in the oven at 300 degrees for 10 minutes. Then take it out of oven and let it cool. Prepare flour mixture by combining flour, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Once tofu is cool dip once in egg mixture and then into flour mixture. Fry tofu in a little olive oil until the outside is golden. And serve.

1 comment: