Sunday, March 7, 2010

Southwest Turkey Chili

One of the biggest budget killers is eating out. We try not to do it but there are days that you just don't feel like cooking. Maybe you had a bad day or you are just exhausted, what ever the reason on those days it is really easy to convince yourself to go out. I know I am guilty of that and so today I am trying to find ways to plan for those days. The biggest thing is making sure that you have items in the house that are easy to throw together so they don't take much effort. I might have a meal plan for the week already but I don't know ahead of time how the day is going to be. And sometimes what was planned for would take way more effort that I can put into. So this afternoon I created a backup plan, Southwest Turkey Chili. You see the great thing about chili is that it freezes really well. This recipe is so easy and once it is done I simply let it cool and put portions in freezer bags and wallah, dinner for those dreaded lazy days.





Southwest Turkey Chili:
1 lb of ground turkey
2 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 c. of diced onion
1/2 c. of diced green pepper
1/2 c. of diced red pepper
1 (14.5 oz) can of diced tomatoes
1 c. of salsa
1 c. of BBQ sauce
1 (4oz) can of green chilies (I use hot but you can also go for mild)
1 c. of corn
1 can of black beans rinsed
1 tbs lemon juice
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 cup of cilantro
1/2 tsp salt

Heat turkey, onion, garlic and peppers in a skillet until turkey is crumbly and evenly brown, about 10 minutes. Transfer turkey mixture to crock pot and add the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a simmer on med/high then turn the crock pot down to low, cover and simmer for 3-4 hours. If I am serving it right away we love it poured over brown rice. But if I am going to freeze it I pour the chili into a baking tray so that it can chill faster. Once the chili is cool I separate it into freezer bags and lay them flat at the bottom of the freezer. To reheat, take the bag, pop it in the microwave for about 10 minutes. Easy meal.

3 comments:

  1. Oh this sounds sounds SOOO delicious! I can't wait to try it! We just made quiche with green chilies and chopped artichoke hearts. Mmmmm.....
    I love reading your blog! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please try the spicer chilies, it really does make a difference!

    So when are we going to blog about steak and mushroom pie? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a take to work lunch favourite in our house. I'm cooking up another batch now on a Sunday afternoon for us to take throughout the week! Unfortunately we've had trouble getting hold of any turkey mince lately so today I'm trying it with pork mince as it's a bit lighter than beef. I'll let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete