Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Mashed Turnips and Carrots

Turnips have gotten an very unfair rap as a vile, sour vegetable but that couldn't be further then the truth.  Turnips actually have a very sweet, pleasant taste very similar to a rutabaga. (swede) My husband has been encouraging me to give them a try so at the farmers market I stocked up.  At first I felt I didn't know what to do with it, however after researching them I found that they could be prepared in the same way that you would potatoes or rutabagas.  My first attempt was to roast them in a vegetable medley which turned out even better then I could imagine.  So after reading a new blog that I discovered, Laura Rebecca's Kitchen, I was inspired to try it mashed.  The result was the perfect blend of sweetness as the carrots nicely complimented the turnips.  I would encourage everyone to give this poor misunderstood root a chance, it may surprise you.





Mashed Turnips and Carrots 
2 medium sized turnips; diced
6 carrots; diced
1/2 tsp butter
1/2 tsp salt



Boil carrots and turnips in slightly salted water until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.  Drain.







Mash vegetables, butter and salt until you reach the desired consistency.







Serve.  This goes wonderfully with a roast meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment