Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Millionaire Shortbread: Like a homemade version of a Twix candy bar

So much to my husband's delight I decided to do a dessert week and focus on pleasing that sweet tooth.  While I do occasionally love sweet things my desire for them has never been altogether that strong, while my husband Chris, would eat cake and chocolate biscuits every day if he could. So on the occasions that I decide to do some baking I love to make it worth every bite.  And being that we are back living in England I decided to do something a little more British this time. Millionaire Shortbread is a popular British shortbread that consists of three layers, shortbread, caramel and melted chocolate, it is more like a candy bar then a bar. This recipe is my mother-in-law's.






Millionaire Shortbread
350g (2 3/4 g.) flour
225g (8 oz) butter
115g (1/2 c.) sugar

125g (4 oz) butter
125g (2/3c.) sugar
2 Tbsp golden syrup
4 Tbsp condensed milk

170g (6oz) chocolate


One thing that I am beginning to understand about baking in particular, is how important real measurements are, because baking really is more like a science.  Just using a cup for measurement is not going to give you accurate results, 1 cup of flour can weigh any where from 4 to 5 1/2 ounces, and a change that slight in your recipe and hurt your results. So using a scale to measure out my ingredients has become a must. To help you learn more about measurements take a look at this great article at Allrecipes.com.











Cream together 225g butter and 115g sugar in a food processor, slowly working in the flour.













Press into a 7x11 dish and bake at 190C (350F) for 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown.




Meanwhile in a sauce pan melt 125g butter, 125g sugar, golden syrup and condensed milk.  Boil for 5-10 minutes until sauce is thick and golden. 









Spread over crust. Cool.











Melt 6 oz of chocolate and spread over set caramel. Allow to completely cool so the chocolate has hardened before you cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment