Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Creamy Ham and Pea Risotto without using Cream

Happy New Year! It's hard to believe that an entire year has passed and a new one has just begun, where does the time go? I remember as a kid thinking that it always took forever to get to Christmas but these days I can't believe how quickly the time goes. Just when I start getting use to writing 2011 all of a sudden I need to start writing 2012. It's amazing how your perspective of time changes when you get older.

I hope that everyone had a fantastic Christmas and New Years. And I am sure everyone has eaten more food then one person should really consume in that short of a time frame. I know I feel like I put on 10 pounds this Christmas season. Lots of rich foods and tons of sugar delights. Not only did I probably eat too much in the last two weeks but I am also tired from all of the prep and cooking I did for so many large meals. So not only am I looking for lighter meals for the next few weeks, I am ready to find some easier meals to prepare. I still have some leftovers from the holiday season so my first step is to make sure that I use those up, wasting food is wasting money so I try to utilize each and every ingredient.

I ended up with rather a lot of leftover ham and I was inspired by a friend to try make a risotto. Risotto is one of those dishes that is very easy to make just a little time consuming because it does require you to stir constantly. But it has become a favorite of mine so I don't mind the extra work. But seeing as how I am trying to keep to a lighter meal plan I decided to avoid the creams and cheeses that often goes into a risotto and focused on allowing the natural starches in the arborio rice to provide the creaminess while the leftover ham brought a salty richness to it. Although a small sprinkle of Parmesan on top I am sure isn't too bad.

While this dish isn't good for babies just weaning feel free to give it to a toddler to enjoy with you.



Ham and Pea Risotto
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 clove garlic crushed
2 Tbsp of olive oil
250g (1 1/4 c.) arborio risotto rice
1 litre (4 c.) hot chicken stock
75g (1 c.) frozen peas
100g (4 oz) cooked ham, chopped
2 tsp dried thyme
pepper to season
grated parmesan cheese *optional



Heat olive oil in a sauce pan and add onions; cook for about 4 minutes until the onion just starts to colour. Add garlic and cook for further 2 minute.





Add rice and fry with onion and garlic for 1 minute.







Add 1/3 of hot stock so it just covers the rice and cook, stirring constantly, until the liquid has absorbed.







Repeat with remaining stock in two further steps until the risotto is soft but still has a bit to it.






Add peas, ham, herbs and seasoning and cook for further 3 - 5 minutes (until peas are cooked). Serve with a small amount of grated Parmesan cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment