Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Homemade Fruit Cups-A cheaper, healthier option for packed lunches

24 hours never seems enough time to get everything done in a day. I guess maybe if we choose to stay awake for all 24 maybe we could complete the to do list, but something tells me that wouldn't be a great idea. Because of the time constraints of life we often find ourselves purchasing things that make our life a little easier.  For example, when you make packed lunches individually wrapped items probably tops the list when it comes to trying to save time and effort.  But the problem with those items is you end up paying sometimes up to double the amount then if you were to package it yourself.  So I challenged myself to overcome this problem and find new ways to deal with it. One item that had become a staple in our packed lunches was small fruit cups, now fruit cup on top of being expensive for what you get are also not very good for you.  So I purchased some small plastic containers and began creating my own fruit cups.

The great thing is you can add what ever fruit is on sale and pre-design it to your tastes.  I usually prepare it on Sunday because I find that the rest of the week is too chaotic. I purchase the items and then set up two cutting boards, one for me and one for my husband.  We either setup in front of the tv or just sit together at the dinning room table.  Have the two of us tacked the fruit helps the task go by faster and to be honest I enjoy my husband and I's fruit cutting time together. Sometimes life can get so busy that you don't find the time to slow down and just do something together. I then fill my small containers with the salad and store them in the fridge.  Then when it comes time to fill lunch boxes I am able to just grab a pre-made salad and focus on other tasks.  I know it has helped make my life easier and I love that it is a much healthier and cheaper option for us. 

Each fruit salad has been different depending on what I find on sale, this is my recipe for my fruit cups.  Enjoy!!



Fruit Salad
10 cups of any diced fruit (apples, oranges, grapes ect.)
1-2 cups of orange juice (orange juice will help keep the fruit from going brown)
10 plastic containers



No comments:

Post a Comment