Thursday, December 30, 2010

Rouxbe Online Cooking School

As I am sure you can tell cooking is one of my all time passions. Since I was a little girl I just loved the artistic challenge of taking different ingredients and merge them to create a delicious delight.  It is something I never grow tired of.  But there have always been huge learning curves in my cooking history that have led to kitchen disasters.  On more then one occasion a meal has turned out so bad we had to go out to eat.  It happens to everyone, but no matter how much you know that it always is a frustrating situation. For years I toyed with the idea of going to culinary school.  And even now when I drive by the Culinary Institute near my house, or when I hear of a friend making the leap to go I get that ache to go.  But I made decisions in my past that has made it a financial impossibility and that is something I understand.  But it doesn't take away my desire to learn and thankfully for that there are avenues out there that I can turn to.  Sites like allrecipes and reading other blogs has been a huge source of teaching materials for me.  But something that I was introduced to by my friend Kimbery Schaub of Peas on Moss has opened the doors to learning things that I only dreamed of.

Rouxbe is an online cooking school for anyone that wants to learn how to improve their cooking skills.  They provide video tutorials that takes you step-by-step through a process and then provide you with exercises to test you on what you have learned as well as a quiz.  You also have access to the schools team of instructors to ask any questions that you might have.  You get all of the benefits of going to a school but you can do it in your own time, and for a lot less money.  Two of my favorite things.

You wouldn't use a map to teach you how to drive, it is a tool that we use to get to where we are going once we lean the skills needed to drive.  But many people, myself included have relied entirely on recipes to teach them how to cook. Recipes are a wonderful guide that helps us when we are creating our meals.  But what if the recipe calls for you to braise your meat.  Do you know how to properly braise?  How big of a difference would it be to your meals if you knew how to properly saute vegetables so that you have the delicious flavor and not have your veggies overcooked and limp? There is so much to learn and I have barely touched the surface with my subscription.  I challenge you to take a look at the site and see what it can offer you.  Tell them I sent you.


No comments:

Post a Comment