Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Nutty Brown Rice Pilaf that will make you beg for more

 One of the things that I love about cooking is the fact that there is no end to the possibilities.  There are so many different varieties of dishes out there that I could cook a different meal every night and still never run out of options.  There are so few things in life that are that endless in possibilities. And for people who feel stuck in dull rut in their life, having that kind of change and excitement to something as simple as an evening meal can be a breath of fresh air.  I challenge myself to try to discover a new recipe at least once a week, not just because I have a blog to write but because we need that little bit of variety in our lives to distract us from times in life that can feel stressful and repetitive.

This particular discovery of a new way to prepare brown rice was so popular that my family begged me to make it again, threatening to delete my photos so that I would be forced to make it again. But they don't need to worry about following through with their threats, even looking at the photos again is making my mouth water for this delicious, nutty side dish.






Nutty Brown Rice Pilaf
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 c. (28 g) slivered almonds
1/3 c. (28 g) pistachio halves and/or pieces
1/3 c. (28 g) chopped walnuts
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 c. (195 g) long-grain brown rice or basmati brown rice
1 cup dry white wine
2 1/2 c. (552 ml) reduced-sodium vegetable broth (or chicken broth)




Chop up nuts so they are more bit sized.



In a large frying pan cook olive oil, onion, and 1/2 tsp. salt over medium heat until onion is soft, about 3 minutes. 


Increase heat to high and add almonds, pistachios, and walnuts. Cook, stirring, until nuts start to toast but do not burn. Onions may brown a bit, which is fine, but reduce heat if they do start. 


Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add coriander, cumin, and pepper. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. 
 Add rice and stir to combine. 


Add wine and cook, stirring, until wine has mostly been absorbed, about 2 minutes. 


This is where I made things a bit complicated for myself as I didn't have a frying pan with a tight fitting lid that was large enough, so I transferred my mixture into a pot.  But if you have a frying pan that is large enough to add the liquid and it has a tight fitting lid go ahead and use it from the start as it will help save one more dish to wash. 


Add broth and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until rice is tender to the bite, about 50 minutes. Fluff with a fork, and add salt to taste.

Delicious!

4 comments:

  1. This is really good rice. To be totally honest you don't even need it to be a side dish, it makes quite a yummy main course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmm, I do love rice. I shall have to try this...

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds lovely
    could be dinner tonight

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm making this for the boys tonight. i'm out of walnuts so i'm using pecans (i hope it turns out okay with that substitution lol)

    ReplyDelete