Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Spicing up the old standards

I loving taking old standard dishes and giving them a new twist, for me it is the best of both worlds.  I can have an old childhood favorite dish with a more sophisticated flavor, a total win win.  Today still focusing on lunch ideas I decided to feature one of my twists on grilled cheese.  Grilled cheese has always been one of my favorite comfort foods.  A few years ago I started trying out different ways that I could turn an old childhood favorite into a dish that I would want to show off to guests.  I have come up with a few versions but this by far is my favorite.




Hummus and Red Pepper Grilled Cheese
8 slices of whole grain bread
2 Tbsp butter
12 slices of Sharp Cheddar Cheese (Provolone is good as well)
4 Tbsp Hummus
1 large Red Pepper sliced



Spread 1 Tbsp of Hummus on four slices of bread.  Add 1/4 of the red peppers and then the cheese.




Spread butter on each side of the sandwich and grill on medium heat.  Don't try to cook grilled cheese on high heat as this will result in the cheese not melting as quickly as the bread grills.  

Serving size 4

No comments:

Post a Comment