Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Easy Apple and Tayberry crumble

The last part of my pregnancy was really hard, I just really wanted my baby to get here but she was stubborn and was late. One of the things that we decided to do to distract me from my overly pregnant state was go out to the pick-your-own farm and get some fresh berries. Twelve hours later interestingly enough after this very pregnant lady spent a few hours bending down picking strawberries and walking along bushes gathering other berries I went into labor. Maybe she smelled the delicious berries we were gathering and just had to come out to try some I am not really sure but I am glad she did decide to finally make her appearance. So now we have tons of large bags of a wide variety of berries in the freezer it is fun to come up with ways to use them. Strangely enough when I was pregnant I really didn't want sweet things, but ever since this little one popped out my sweet tooth has been alive and kicking so this has made our berry reserve even more tantalizing.  One of the berries that we picked was one that I had never tried before, a tayberry, which looks a lot like a very large blackberry but has more similar characteristics to a raspberry. So I decided to play around with these berries for the first time and create an apple and tayberry crumble. Again focusing on ease because of the baby, a crumble is a fantastic way to enjoy the deliciousness of a desert without having to go through a lot of effort.




Apple and Tayberry Crumble
4 c apples, sliced
2 c tayberries
1 lemon, juiced
1/2 c sugar
2 Tbsp flour
1 c flour
1/2 c brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
8 Tbsp cold butter



Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 180 C (350 F)
Peel, core and slice apples into 1/4-inch slices and gently rinse the tayberries.










Place apples and tayberries in a large mixing bowl and toss with sugar, lemon juice, flour, and cinnamon.


Pour into a lightly greased 9 by 13-inch baking dish, and spread out into an even layer. Set aside.














In another large bowl mix together flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Using a fork gently work in the cold butter until pea-sized lumps are formed.












Top fruit mixture evenly with topping and bake until apples are bubbly and topping is golden brown, about 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment