Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Bacon and Brussel Sprouts Casserole

So it is that time of year when the brussel sprouts are in season and I have one happy husband. I have said it before but I am blessed with a husband that absolutely loves brussel sprouts. Which is great because I know that I can be adventurous with my preparation of these little cabbages and know that my husband will eat it.  

Last time I talked about brussel sprouts I said that I had been stuck in a cooking rut with this little green veggie. But since then I have tried new ways to prepare them that have opened my eyes to a whole new world of dishes that I would have never before thought of. This recipe was inspired by an article from Delish.com. Once again I found a recipe that sounded great but after reading it I noticed that, in my opinion, the instructions given weren't going to yield a result that I would be pleased with. So I took the recipe and prepared it in my own way, altering the parts that I felt wouldn't work. And I am happy to say that it turned out a real winner. This is definitely one to repeat.




Bacon and Brussel Sprouts Casserole
300 g (10 oz) fresh brussels sprouts
1 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp  flour
1 1/2 c. low-fat milk
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 c. cooked long-grain brown rice
50g (1 oz) cooked bacon, cut into thin strips
1/4 c. fresh breadcrumbs
2 Tbsp grated fresh Parmesan cheese




Preheat oven to 190 C (375 F).
Cut off hard end of brussel sprouts, removing a few of the tougher outer leaves. Cut a small slit into the stem to allow the brussel sprouts to cook through.







In a medium saucepan par-boil the brussel sprouts for 2-3 minutes. This will help remove some of the bitter taste that some people don't like about brussel sprouts. After 2-3 minutes tip the brussel sprouts into a bowl of cold water to 'shock them', stopping the cooking process. Set aside.








Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring with a whisk.








Gradually add milk to saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer slowly for 3 minutes or until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly. Stir in salt and pepper. Set aside.








In a 9-inch baking dish pat rice into bottom of dish; arrange Brussels sprouts, stem sides down, on top of rice. Sprinkle Brussels sprouts with bacon.










Pour sauce over bacon and brussel sprouts.
















Combine breadcrumbs and cheese; sprinkle over sauce.
















Bake at 190 C (375 F) for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment