Thursday, October 20, 2011

Risotto isn't as hard to make as you think

I finally did it! I have been wanting to make a risotto for a long time now but had been put off by it because I was nervous that it would be a bit too hard. I will say this, risotto isn't hard to make, it just takes a bit more effort so don't choose to make it unless you can focus on it. And it is so creamy and delicious, I am looking forward to the next time I can make it. I think next time I might do chicken and mushroom risotto. Yum yum! Oh dear I have made myself hungry again.


Prosciutto and Spinach Risotto
2 Tbsp olive oil
small yellow onion, finely chopped
2 c. Arborio rice
1 c. dry white wine
4 c. low-sodium chicken broth
1 c. grated Parmesan
(4 oz) thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 c. frozen spinach, defrosted and squeeze all of the liquid from it
 salt and black pepper



Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes.
*chop your onion a little finer then this, I should have done that





Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.





Add the wine and cook, stirring frequently, until the liquid is absorbed.





Add the broth ½ cup at a time, stirring occasionally and waiting until it’s absorbed before adding more. *this is the part that takes time and patience. I found that after I added all of the liquid, putting the lid on in between stirs helped it fluff up nicely.





It should take about 30 minutes for all of it to be absorbed.






Remove from heat and stir in the Parmesan, spinach, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.


Spoon into individual bowls and serve with prosciutto on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment