Friday, September 2, 2011

Cilantro Chicken with Peanuts an easy meal idea for even the craziest of days


I talked a lot about the ease of cooking, it is so important to not allow cooking to become something that is so complicated that you avoid doing it. Learning how to put things together in a way that is healthy and tasty but also very easy is a vital way to cut down your food budget. I relearned this lesson last week while we were in the middle of moving and unpacking. I felt too tired and things were too chaotic so we ended up eating out for most of our meals, all together we spend more last week on food then I normally do for two weeks worth of meals. The thing is I know plenty of dishes that take no time at all and are very tasty so really I have no excuse. The biggest thing is making sure you have certain basic stock items in your house all the time, that way when those crazy days sneak up on you there is always something you can put together for dinner.  I always have cilantro (coriander) on hand as well as chicken so this easy meal just required me to get some honey-roasted peanuts. Although you could just use plain peanuts as I have done before and it taste just as good. This recipe was yet another culinary delight that I got from my Sonoma Diet Cookbook, I can’t say enough about their recipes. They are not only healthier as they are apart of their diet, which on a side note is a lifestyle-focused diet, which in my opinion is the only way to successfully diet. The other added benefit of the recipes is that they are all easy to prepare and these days with a little one needing constant attention that is a very important thing.


Cilantro Chicken with Peanuts
2 tsp olive oil
500g (1 pound) Chicken breasts, diced
1 oz of honey-roasted peanuts
2 tsp minced fresh ginger
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 c sliced green onion
1 Tbs soy sauce
2 tsp rice vinegar
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 c fresh cilantro (coriander) leaves



In a heavy 10-inch skillet heat olive oil over high heat. Add chicken; cook for 2 minutes. Add peanuts, ginger and garlic and cook for another 3 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink.



Add green onions, soy sauce, rice vinegar and sesame oil. Cook and stir for another 2 minutes.





Remove from heat and add the cilantro leaves.
Serve over rice or shredded cabbage.

No comments:

Post a Comment