Thursday, September 22, 2011

Discovering the delicious flavor of Spanish Chorizo Sausage

Since I moved to the UK I have discovered a new love for the Spanish sausage, Chorizo. It has such fantastic flavor and as I have discovered can be added to many different dishes for a spicy flare. I served this particular dish while my dad was visiting from the States and both he and my husband loved it. And because Chorizo keeps so well I find it is something I can keep on hand for a quick and satisfying dinner option.




Chorizo, Chickpea and Spinach Stew
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, 1cm chopped
1/2 red pepper, 1cm chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
125g cooking chorizo, sliced
1 can chickpeas, washed and drained
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 bay leaf
2 tsp harrissa or chopped chilli to taste
2-3 handfuls baby spinach
salt and pepper to taste
Recipe from Nigella




Heat the olive oil in a pan. Add the onions, red pepper and garlic and fry for 2 minutes to soften.






Add the chorizo and fry for 2 minutes to release the flavour.  Add the chickpeas and fry for a further minute or so.












Add the chopped tomatoes, bay leaf and harrissa or chilli; cover with a lid and allow to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.






Add the spinach and stir in so that it wilts. If the liquid dries up you can add 1/4 cup approx of water, allow a minute or so more of cooking. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve in bowls with crusty bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment