Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Getting ready for the holidays by finding new baking inspiration


September is winding down and I am already starting to think about the holidays. I know that is a taboo thing to be thinking about this early but alas I am. I think because this is my first year with Morgan. Even though she is too young to appreciate it I am so excited to celebrate the holidays with my little girl. Plus I have family from the States coming to visit this holiday season so I have even more to celebrate. Seeing as how this is my first time to spend the holidays in England I have wanted to experiment a little more, try to add to my holiday baking list. It has only been for the past few years that I have really gotten into my pie making and this time I wanted to try something a little bit different. Chris loves custard so when I saw this recipe I thought it would be a perfect fit. The crust is a little different to work with because of the whole-wheat flour, but it tastes delicious.

Peach Custard Pie
Crust:
½ c. pecan halves
½ c. whole-wheat pastry flour
1 c. plain flour
1 egg yoke
1 Tbsp sugar
¼ tsp salt
4 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 Tbsp olive oil
¼ c. ice water
1 tsp lemon juice


Filling:
1 c. sugar
¾ c. low-fat milk
¾ c. nonfat plain Greek yogurt
2 large eggs
2 Tbsp plain flour
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 pinch of salt
2 c. thinly sliced peaches, fresh or frozen
2 Tbsp of chopped pecans






Pulse pecans in a food processor until finely ground.

In a medium combine with whole-wheat flour, plain flour, sugar and salt. Cut in butter and mix with your fingers or a fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.


Add oil, water, egg yoke and lemon juice into a measuring cup and mix until well combined. Then add it to the flour mixture and mix until dough clumps together. Form into a ball and then wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

Position oven rack in lower third of oven and preheat to (400F) Coat a 9 inch pie pan with cooking spray.



For the filling, combine the sugar, milk, yogurt, eggs, flour, cornstarch, vanilla and salt into a medium bowl; whisk until smooth.



Roll out dough between two sheets of parchment paper or wax paper into a 12 inch circle. Peel off the top sheet and invert the dough into the prepared pie pan. Peel off the remaining paper and trim the dough so it overhangs evenly, about 1 inch. Fold the edges under to make a plump edge; flute or crimp the edge with your fingers.





Arrange the peaches in the crust.







Pour the filling on top. Some peaches will float but this won’t effect the final results. Bake for 30 minutes.





After 30 minutes remove the pie from the oven and sprinkle chopped pecans over the top. Cover the edges with foil to prevent overbrowning. Reduce the oven temperature to (350F) Return the pie to the oven and bake until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes to an hour. Let cool for at least one and a half hours. Serve warm or straight out of the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment