Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Easy Spicy Beef, Lentil and Veggie Stew

I am not sure why it is that kids will often decide that they don't like certain foods but then years later when they are adults they come to find out that they do like it. I have had quite a few surprises as an adult with delicious foods that I would have hated as a child. And now that I have a child, who is still a few months from being weaned, I find myself thinking about those little food oddities about children and wondering what I can do to make it better for my daughter. I know it is possible because I have met some amazing children that just loved everything you put in front of them, and they were always willing to at least try a bite. I have such strong hopes for my daughter, that she will grow up with that healthy of an attitude about food. Not only is it a wonderful behavior in children, it is an even better quality when they are an adult. There is nothing more frustrating then an adult with child-like picky eating habits. It can be very insulting when you go over to someone's home and they prepare you a nice meal only to have you say, 'oh I don't like green veggies' or 'I don't eat potatoes'.

So from an early age I want to do my best to equip my daughter with what she needs to have well developed taste buds and an adventurous attitude about food. I actually have a few theories about why it is that children can be so picky that are purely my own, I have no knowledge if there are any studies to back this up. But from my experience I have noticed how children are often given very bland food, at least that is often the way with children in western cultures. We have this idea that spices aren't good for children so from a very early age we give them things that are steamed, boiled or pureed. Now I am not talking about giving my 4 month old a hot, spicy curry, and when they are first weaning their bodies wouldn't be able to handle much. But I have noticed that this need to serve children bland food seems to continue until a much later age. I have known 4 year-olds who were only served meals like, fried chicken fingers, mashed potatoes and some steamed veggies. Now truth be told there is nothing wrong with serving this, it is some what of a balanced meal. But at that age children should be able to handle herbs and spices so why not allow them to try it. Instead try some fish, grilled with lemon and parsley served with a lentil pilaf and some spinach sauteed in garlic. There is no reason why a 4 year-old shouldn't enjoy food like that.

Speaking of lentils, that was one of the food items that I 'hated' as a kid, but in all truth I only ate it once. Now I can't even imagine not liking lentils, they are an amazing and versatile bean. But I got it in my little head that I didn't like it and it wasn't until I was in my early 20's that I gave it a try again and discovered that I actually loved it. I am now often trying to come up with new and fresh ideas on how to cook this tasty bean, forever trying to expand my list of recipes so that when my daughter is older I am equipped with enough of a variety of recipes to expand my daughter's horizons. I am not saying it is going to be easy but it is worth the challenge.



Spicy Beef, Lentil and Veggie Stew
500g (1lb) of chopped sirloin
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
100g mushrooms, sliced
2 courgettes(zucchini), diced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 red pepper, diced
400g (15oz) cooked lentils
cooked rice
 

Saute the beef with the garlic, turmeric powder, garam masala, curry powder and the salt and pepper. Cook until the beef is only slightly pink in the middle. Set aside.


Get a clean frying pan hot, then add oil allowing the oil to get hot before you add the mushrooms. Saute the mushrooms in the hot oil until their are nice and brown. Don't stir too often as mushrooms need to retain their heat to brown. Add to the beef and set aside.


Saute onions, courgettes and red pepper until the onions are translucent and the veggies are soft but still crisp.


Add the beef, mushrooms and cooked lentils to the pan and cook until heated through. Serve as is or over rice.



No comments:

Post a Comment