Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Healthy Burrito Lunch

For me lunch is sort of an odd meal. It is often the one that gets skipped, either because I don't have enough time to put it together or I just the lack of inspiration to know what to eat. I love sandwiches but who wants to eat a sandwich every day? I for one love variety. So I am trying to challenge myself to be more disciplined about my lunches. Every night I prepare a packed lunch for my husband. So I have decided that I need to start preparing both of our lunches this way, that way I have no excuses to eat a healthy lunch because it is already prepared. But like I said before, while I do love sandwiches, I get bored and crave more options. So I came up with a quick burrito filler that is good hot or cold. And to make it even better, it is a much healthier burrito option. You can have fun with a lot of different fillings like this, just prepare it the night before and roll it up in a tortilla for a tasty, different lunch. This kept well for three days in the fridge so it was a great lunch option for both my husband and I for the week.


Chicken and Black Bean Wraps
500g (1lb) cooked chicken, shredded (I used leftover roast chicken)
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1-2 jalapenos, chopped
1/2 tsp cumin
1 400g (14oz) can of black beans
1/2 c. salsa (I used green salsa but red salsa can be used)
handful of chopped coriander
6 tortillas
Lettuce
Tomato



Heat a sauce pan with a small amount of olive oil and saute the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes. Until the onions are translucent.







Add the jalapenos and cumin; cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.







Mix in the cooked chicken and heat through.






Drain the canned beans; cook until heated through and then add the 1/2 cup of salsa and handful of coriander. 






Serve warm in a tortilla with lettuce and tomato, or cool completely and store in the fridge for up to three days in a tightly sealed plastic container. Can be re-heated or served as is.

No comments:

Post a Comment