Thursday, November 24, 2011

Gluten-Free Cornbread Stuffing


Today is Thanksgiving and it is an extra special one for me, because not only is it the first year with my baby girl but it is also a first time for my fabulous in-laws to celebrate it with us (actually their first time ever) and my brother and my NEW sister-in-law to be. My brother proposed to her yesterday so today is a day filled with excitement and so many things to be grateful for. Now my sister-in-law is gluten-intolerant and I wanted to make sure that this year we had a meal for her that she could feel safe to have anything from the table. So the first thing I set out to create was gluten-free stuffing. I had never made cornbread without flour before but I figured that it would be to hard to find someone that had, so after an hour of research I found what seemed to be a fantastic recipe on the blog, Veronicas Cornucopia. Now not only did this turn out fantastic for my stuffing recipe but I also discovered a new blog that I love.

Once I had the cornbread it wasn’t too hard to throw together an amazing stuffing recipe that had everyone happy.  So this year for Thanksgiving I am very thankful for wonderful family and for a wonderful feast that everyone can enjoy.




Gluten-Free Cornbread Stuffing
2 c. yellow cornmeal
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 c. buttermilk
2 eggs
2 Tbps olive oil
6 Tbsp of butter
1 medium onion, minced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
220g (8oz) mushrooms, chopped
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp rosemary
1/4 c. white wine
1/3 c. single cream 
1/2 c. pecans, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper



Preheat oven to 220 C (425 F). Combine dry ingredients. Add milk, egg, and oil and mix well.



Pour into well-greased pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.




Allow cornbread to cool and crumble with a fork, making sure to break up any large pieces. This is best if you can make it the night before and allow the bread to sit out in the air and get a bit stale.




Melt the butter in a deep roasting pan

Add the crumbled up cornbread and toast under the grill (broiler) until the cornbread is golden brown, 10 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool.




Heat a pan on the stove until the pan is hot, test with a drop of water to see if the water beads. Add the chopped pecans and toss, roasting the nuts until they are slightly brown, 5 minutes. Set aside.






In a hot skillet heat up a tsp of oil and sauté the mushrooms until they turn a slight golden brown; about 5-8 minutes. Set aside.







In a medium size sauce pan heat up a tsp of olive oil and sauté the onions and garlic until the onions are soft and just starting to brown; about 5-8 minutes.







Combine the mushrooms, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper with the onions and add the wine. Cook until the wine has been absorbed.





Add the cream and cook for 1 minute longer.







Toss the cornbread and pecans with the mushroom mixture, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment