Thursday, February 24, 2011

Making the Healthy Switch to Olive Oil

Have you ever found yourself eating too much of something like cake and then when the scale shows those extra pounds declaring to yourself that you are never going to eat cake again.  No matter how much you really want to give up eating cake most people that make declarations like that never make it very far.  One of the reasons why you fail when you say that you'll never to do something again is because it is too extreme of a jump.  Because there is no instant gratification for giving it up, you don't all of a sudden lose all of the weight you gained by quitting eating cake.  So in a society driven by instant gratification it is too big of a temptation to get frustrated and give up and continue with our bad habits.  I have been guilty of being a yo-yo dieter for so much of my adult life often going to extreme measures of preventing myself from eating my favorite foods will forcing myself to eat terrible things like those awful prepackaged meals from NutriSystem.  But nothing ever worked because I couldn't stick to it.  But a year and a half ago my husband and I talked about how we needed to make some real changes to our diet and lifestyle other wise, so we decided to make some smaller more realistic goals.  Small things like, I started buying brown rice and whole wheat pasta.  We stopped keeping the house stocked with chips and instead got granola bars and trail mix.  We didn't make all of the changes at once but over time we added and took away more things, and over time we turned our changes  into habits.  We don't even think about the changes any more they are so apart of our life that it feels normal.

Another of the small changes was I switched to Olive Oil, like Olivari Olive Oil, for almost all of my cooking, from everything from baking to frying.  Some people feel that the taste of olive oil isn't good for certain foods but what I found was that I am so use to it that I don't notice it.  Olive oil has the lowest amount of saturated fat and contains more monosaturated fat a healthier type of fat that can lower your risk of heart disease by reducing the total and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels in your blood, it is considered the healthiest oil to cook with. Substituting olive oil was a small change but one that has reduced the calorie count and fat count of every dish I make.  Just another of the small changes that made a big difference in mine and my husband's life.

If you want more information about the benefits of olive oil and other facts you can check out this article


Baked Potato Wedges
4 small baking potatoes, unpeeled
2 Tbsp good olive oil
1 tsp kosher salt 
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp minced fresh garlic
1/2 tsp dried rosemary leaves




Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Scrub the potatoes, cut them in half lengthwise, then cut each half in thirds lengthwise. You'll have 6 long wedges from each potato. Mix the potatoes with the olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and rosemary making sure the potatoes are covered with oil and then spread out onto a baking sheet.





Make sure the potatoes aren't touching each other with 1 cut-side down.






Bake the potatoes for 30 to 35 minutes, turning to the other cut side after 20 minutes. Bake until they are lightly browned, crisp outside, and tender inside. Serving size 4




I would like to encourage you to give Olive Oil a chance so for the first seven people that leave a comment and share their one small healthy change that that either have changed or would like to change about their diet on this posting I have a coupon for a free 17 fl oz for you.  Sorry this coupon is only redeemable in the US.


1 comment:

  1. When I had kids and started baking things for them, I made the switch to whole wheat flour in most of my baking. I also try to substitute with things like apple sauce or apple butter instead of sugar in some things.

    ReplyDelete