Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Delicious, Fluffy Lemon-Blueberry Muffins

There is something about the combination of lemon and blueberries that just makes me taste buds explode with pleasure.  I just can't get enough of it, Lemon-Blueberry Pie, Lemon-Blueberry pancakes, there just isn't a form that I don't like.  So for brunch the other day I decided to make some Lemon-Blueberry muffins.  I had been using a recipe that was given to me by someone, I can't remember who, several years ago but it was never as good as I would have liked it to be, so I decided to try a new recipe this time.  This recipe came from a new site I found called Myrecipes.com and it definitely a crowd pleaser. The only thing you will regret is that you don't have more, so can I recommend a double batch.




Lemon-Blueberry Muffins
2  cups  All-purpose flour
1/2  cup  sugar
1  teaspoon  baking powder
1/2  teaspoon  baking soda
1/2  teaspoon  salt
1/8  teaspoon  ground nutmeg
1/4  butter
1 1/4  cups  low-fat buttermilk
2  large eggs, separated
2 lemons
1  cup  blueberries
1  tablespoon  fresh lemon juice
1/2  cup  powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 400°.
Sift flour into a large mixing bowl; combine next 5 ingredients. (sugar through nutmeg) Cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.

Separate the eggs and set the yokes aside.  Allow the egg whites to get to room temperature. 

Combine buttermilk, egg yokes and rind; stir well with a whisk. Add to flour mixture; stir until moist.
 


Once the egg whites are at room temperature place them in a stainless steel bowl, add a splash of lemon juice and begin beating them in long strokes.  Make sure the movement is more of an up and down so the the air flow gets through the egg whites making them firm up quicker.  Once they are stiff stop beating them, if you over beat them you will begin to break it back down to a more liquid form





Once the egg whites are stiff you will need to immediately fold them into the flour mixture. Now this is a step that you can skip if you don't have the time, the eggs can be added together.  This is not a step I do all the time but when I do have the time I love how light and airy it makes my baked goods. 









Gently fold in the blueberries.







Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups, I prefer to use paper muffin cup liners because it is an easier cleanup. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until the muffins spring back when lightly touched. Remove muffins from pans immediately, and place on a wire rack to cool.
Combine lemon juice and powdered sugar in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze evenly over cooled muffins. This recipe makes one dozen muffins.


No comments:

Post a Comment