Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Roasted Brussel Sprouts

For years brussel sprouts have gotten a bad rap as a gross vegetable that people hate.  But I think this is due to the fact that more often then not when they are served they are poorly cooked, resulting in a slimy mush.  That was my first experience with them, a slimy ball of mush with a very bitter flavor.  And I will admit after that first taste I too thought that I had found a vegetable that I would never like.  But when my husband and I got together he informed me that they were one of his favorite vegetables. What was a girl to do but give it one more try.  I had never attempted to cook them myself so I started researching how to prepare them and in my research I found that I wasn't alone in my bad experience with these little balls of cabbage.  But the more I read about how nutritious and according to many blog postings how delicious they were I knew I had to try.  My first attempt wasn't perfect, I tried steaming them and because I was so paranoid about overcooking them they turned out slightly firmer then they should have been.  I served it with a roast beef and mashed potatoes and was delighted when my first bite into the brussel sprouts yielded a pleasant nutty taste that wasn't as overpowering as I remembered as a child.  One of the things that I learned in my research is that if you are always getting an overwhelming pungent odor every time you are steaming them you might be overcooking them.  If you using the steaming method they should only cook for about 5-7 minutes. 

Brussel sprouts, like other vegetables are low in fat and calories, but unlike other vegetables they are high in protein. They are also high in fiber and vitamins.  With all of those positive things I think these little green cabbages deserve a second chance.  For this recipe I used a recipe I found on a blog I follow Madelines Adaptations, roasting them gives them such a wonderful flavor, my husband and I fight to get seconds.



Roasted Brussel Sprouts
1 lb brussel sprouts
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
1 tablespoon butter



Peel the first couple of leaves from the brussel sprouts and trim off the rough bottom stems.




Place the brussel sprouts in a large baking dish so they are in a single layer. Drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Dot the brussel sprouts with butter and place the dish in the oven.






Place in a pre-heated 400 degree oven and roast for 30 minutes (or until fork tender) tossing every 15 minutes. Remove from oven and serve.  They pair perfectly with a roast meal with gravy. 

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, I LOVE roasted brussel sprouts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must try this when they're back in season - i LOVE brussels sprouts too!

    ReplyDelete