Thursday, December 1, 2011

Using up leftovers: Ham, Potato and Leek Bake


Have you ever had to use up items in your fridge or pantry so you just decided to throw it all together? This is often something that happens at the Hunter house and sometimes it turns out amazing, and other times it is something best not repeated. But it is the kind of experimenting that I just love. One of my favorite games would be to show up at a friends house and try to create a meal with only the ingredients that they had on hand, it was a challenging game that has helped further develop not only my skill as a cook but my confidence to try new things.

The funny part about this challenge is that it came around not just because I have things to use up but came about because I was digging up my garden a few weeks ago. I wanted to make my back garden a little more presentable before my brother and his fiancee arrived, so I started pulling up dying plants and plants that I no longer wanted in the garden. And as I was digging up the earth I discovered about 2-dozen small potatoes. So my challenge to myself wasn’t just how to use up what I had in the fridge but also how to use up what had grown in my garden. So much fun!



Ham, Potato and Leek Bake
250g (1/2 lbs) potatoes, thinly sliced
200g deli ham, sliced
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 leeks, chopped
2 Tbsp butter
2 c. low-fat milk
4 Tbsp cornflour
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper
1 c. grated cheese





Heat olive oil in a saucepan and then add the leeks. Cook on medium low heat until the leeks are soft (about 5 minutes)










In a medium size saucepan melt the butter with the milk







Carefully mix in cornflour and cook on low heat until thickened. Add onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste






Butter a 9in baking pan








Add a layer of potatoes, then add the leeks and half of the sauce. Sprinkle ½ c of cheese on top



Add another layer of potatoes, then the ham, the rest of the sauce and cheese.





Cover with foil and bake in an oven at 190C (375F) for 40 minutes. Then remove the foil and cook for an additional 30 minutes










No comments:

Post a Comment