Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Christmas recipes: Creamed Corn

It is hard for me to believe that Christmas is nearly here. It is amazing that a year ago I was nervously filling out my visa application to try to move to the UK and wondering how on earth it was all going to work out. And yet here I am, a year later writing to you from the kitchen of my new home in England. What an amazing year! 


This Christmas feels extra special for me so in honor of my favorite holiday I am going to be featuring Christmas recipes all month.  Now last year I wrote an article on how to cook the perfect turkey, so I want to focus on side dishes and of course everyone's favorite, Christmas desserts. 


Every family has different traditional side dishes at Christmas dinner, I want to share a few of my family dishes that I enjoyed growing up as well as some new ones that I have introduced into my new little family as our tradition. 





Creamed Corn
4 c. frozen corn
1 c. creme fraiche
1 c. low-fat milk
1 tsp salt
6 tsp sugar
punch pepper
2 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour




Melt butter in a medium saucepan and add the flour. Mix until it becomes a thick paste. 


Add creme fraiche and milk. Heat on low heat and stir often. If you want a nice thick sauce the key is patience and low heat cooking. It will take about 5 minutes of low heat cooking but the results will be a thick, unscalded sauce. Once the sauce is very thick add the salt, sugar and pepper. *If creme fraiche isn't readily available you can substiute 1 c. of cream, but it will add to the calorie count






Add the frozen corn and cook on low-heat until heated through. 

3 comments:

  1. I've never eaten this but it sounds like something my husband would like! I'll have to try it

    ReplyDelete
  2. what exactly is creme freiche / where in the grocery store would it be? I think it would be fun to surprise jeremy with this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie, creme fraiche is a form of soured cream, but it is not as sour as actual 'sour cream'. If it is sold in the grocery store there it would be near the sour cream.

    ReplyDelete