Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Christmas recipes: The Perfect Roasted Potatoes

Growing up we always had mashed potatoes with our Christmas dinner and I was happy to continue that tradition however my husband prefers roasted potatoes, so in order to make sure that everyone is happy I try to rotate what I do each year. But I must confess that it took me a quite a while to perfect my roasted potatoes. Trying to make sure they were nice and crisp on the outside while light and fluffy on the inside proved to be a slightly bigger challenge then I thought. But after receiving some tips from my mother-in-law as well as a bit of research online I am now happy with the results of my recipe.

An essential part to having the perfect roasted potatoes is to start off with a floury potato, something like a King Edward, but this proved difficult in the US because they often don't display what variety the potatoes are. The only bit of advice I have if you don't have access to good roasting potatoes is stay away from Yukon for roasting, that is the potato that I used when I was in the US and it doesn't turn out right. You want one that is floury to get the result of a nice crisp outside with a soft inside.




The Perfect Roasted Potatoes
6-8 medium (500g) King Edward potatoes
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp rosemary
1/2 tsp pepper




Peel and quarter the potatoes and then run them under the cold water tap.






Boil them in slightly salted water for 5 minutes







Drain and allow to air dry







Pour olive oil over the potatoes and sprinkle with salt, pepper, rosemary and garlic. Make sure that you toss well so that each potato is covered in oil and seasonings. Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes







Put in a 190C (375F) oven for 45 minutes making sure to turn potatoes half way.
Potatoes are done when they have a nice golden crust.

No comments:

Post a Comment