Friday, February 3, 2012

Aubergine Parmesana

A little over three years ago I was visiting my, then fiance's, family in England. We were traveling to a family wedding and to pass time on the drive we played the game 20 questions. It was my turn and I decided that my word would be 'eggplant'. So the questions began, they had it narrowed down to the fact that it was a vegetable and that it was purple but still no one seemed to be able to guess it. After a while of being confused as why it was stumping everyone my mother-in-law asked, 'is it an eggplant?'. Exasperated I said yes, that is when she informed me that in this country it is called an aubergine. They had answered aubergine several times but seeing as how I had no idea what that was I didn't realize that they had answered correctly. Funny how we can speak the same language and yet still sometimes fail to understand each other.


Aubergine Parmesana
1 aubergine (eggplant), cut crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick rounds *
High smoke point oil I used coconut oil
2 tsp plus 1/4 tsp salt
400g (14.5 oz) canned tomatoes
1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
6 fresh basil leaves, torn in half
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp dried red pepper flakes
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 large eggs
62g (1/2 c.) breadcrumbs
56g (1/4 c.) grated Parmesan
113g (1/2 c.) mozzarella

*
You should get about six slices from one aubergine



Toss aubergine with 2 tsp salt in a colander set over a bowl, then let drain 30 minutes.



 While aubergine is sweating, heat 2 Tbsp of oil in a 5-quart heavy pot over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then add garlic and saute, stirring, until golden, about 30 seconds. 
Add canned tomatoes, basil, 1 tsp salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 25 to 30 minutes. 


Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 375°F.
Stir together flour, remaining 1/4 tsp salt in a shallow bowl. Lightly beat eggs in a second shallow bowl, then stir together breadcrumbs and 3 Tbsp Parmesan in a third shallow bowl.


 



Dry aubergine with paper towels and then working with 1 slice at a time, dredge aubergine in flour, shaking off excess, then dip in egg, letting excess drip off, and dredge in breadcrumbs until evenly coated. 




Heat 1/2 c. oil in a deep nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then fry aubergine 1 slice at a time, turning over once, until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per batch. Transfer with tongs to paper towels to drain. You can use a larger pan but I prefer to do all of my frying in a small skillet because I find that I can use less oil. I don’t fry things a lot and I use a slightly expensive kind of oil so I find it is worth doing it this way.



Spread a small amount of tomato sauce in bottom of a small baking dish. Arrange one layer of aubergine slices over sauce. 





Cover aubergine with about half of remaining sauce and half of mozzarella. 




Continue layering with remaining aubergine, sauce, and mozzarella. Sprinkle top with remaining Parmesan





Bake, uncovered, until cheese is melted and golden and sauce is bubbling, 35 to 40 minutes.




No comments:

Post a Comment