Thursday, February 23, 2012

Easy meal for the baby and the whole family-Parmesan and Cod Fish Cakes

Introducing Morgan to solids has thankfully been a very good experience so far. She has already proven to be a good eater and has loved pretty much everything we have given her.  I have been very adventurous on what to feed her and have been pleasantly surprised at how quickly she has taken to it. I think we don't give babies enough credit for how quickly they learn. Being that she is only seven months old and doesn't have any teeth yet you would think that she wouldn't be able to chew her food and yet she has somehow mastered it. It is remarkable to watch her feed herself and to work on her problem solving skills.

I have also enjoyed the different meals that I have been trying so that she can eat dinner with my husband and I. This meal for example was the first time I had ever made fish cakes and I was excited at how delicious and easy they were to make. I think it is important to introduce your little one to a wide variety of foods as early as possible so hopefully when the toddler years come around they will be less likely to be a picky eater. I don't know this for a fact but it makes sense in my mind so I am sticking with it.



Parmesan and Cod Fish Cakes
500g (1 lb) cod fillets
1/2 tsp paprika
2 medium-sized potatoes
1 cup bread crumbs
1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley
1/4 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 eggs, lightly beaten
Grapeseed oil, or other high smoke point oil such as canola oil, for frying





 

Boil and mash the potatoes, set them aside.

 


Rub the paprika over the fish then add it to a hot frying pan with a small amount of olive oil. Brown both sides of the fish about 2 minutes on both sides and then place a lid on the pan and finish cooking; about 5 more minutes. Flake the fish, being careful to remove any bones.

 

 Mix the flaked fish, the potatoes and the rest of the ingredients* together well by hand. If the mixture is too crumbly, add another egg. If too sticky, add some more bread crumbs.

*Add the salt last if you are making this for a baby. Take out the portions you need for the little one and then add your salt. Depending on how much you take out you might want to reduce the amount of salt you add.





Form the mixture into cakes and fry them on medium high heat in a skillet coated with oil, until nice browned on one side, then flip them over and continue to cook until well browned on the other side.







Serve with veggies or a nice salad. Allow to cool before you give it to the baby to enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. Those look delicious. I have a 7 month old too, but she has only gotten a few veggies, chicken stock and egg yolks so far. I'm impressed that your baby is already eating fishcakes. Such a gourmand! I just started following you and I'm looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for following. Yes I am proud of my little foodie. Keep exploring with your little one. We started off small too with things like banana in the morning and roasted squash in the afternoon. But then I started cooking baby safe meals for dinner and let her have a bit of my food and it took off from there. She now gets really upset if we eat in front of her so I make sure she has her meal too.

    ReplyDelete