Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Chocolate Dipped Valentines Cookies

Happy Valentines Day to you. Up until now I had never really paid much attention to this day. A day that was created for the sake of commercialization just didn't scream love to me. But my sister pointed something out to me that has changed my attitude about this day. She said it is what you make of it. Yes there are commercials on tv that tell you what this day is about and how you need to celebrate it, but today is a day to celebrate love, no matter how that love looks like. My sister for example, she works with special needs kids and her and her teachers are trying to teach the kids to love each other and giving them creative art projects that are helping them express that love. You see it doesn't need to be an over commercialized day, having a day that we set aside to remind us to show the people around us that we love them can be a very good thing. 


Today I wanted to make sure that I let my amazing husband know that I love him. But today was also a difficult day as I only arrived home at 6am after a 21 hour traveling journey with a seven-month-old. So I knew that I wouldn't have a lot of energy today. So on Sunday I spend some time making these Valentines Day cookies so that when I arrived today I was able to present a token of my love to the one I love very much. 





Chocolate Dipped Valentines Cookies
  • 340g (1 1/2 c.) butter, softened
  • 400g (2 c.) white sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 625g (5 c.) plain flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 400g (2c.) chocolate chips
  • 4 tsp shortening 



 


In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. 








 

Beat in eggs and vanilla. 





Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt.  





 



Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).






Preheat oven to 200 C (400 F). Roll out dough on floured surface 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter. 






Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven. Cool completely.






Melt chocolate chips and shortening together until chocolate it smooth.






Dip on half of the cookie into the chocolate and allow to harden for 2 hours, or until the chocolate has hardened, on grease paper. 





Or if you are like me and don't have any you can use your cookie cooling rack just put something under it so you don't have a big mess to clean up later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment